Friday, March 29, 2013

Cinnamon Apple Cake

For Will's birthday I made a Cinnamon Apple Cake.  I'm not a huge lover of cakes, but with whole wheat flour and 4 entire apples in this cake, I can't turn it down.  And it is oh so yummy!  I thought I would share the recipe.


This is a cake that the kids love to help with.  My sister got us this apple peeler a few years ago, and it has become one of my favorite kitchen tools.


After I put the apples on, the kids can grind it through themselves.  


And it makes eating the apples so fun!  You end up with a very long string of apple peel, and a slinky of perfectly sliced apples.  Then all I have to do is dice the slices up.


Cinnamon Apple Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups white sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup oil
1/4 cup orange juice
4 cups apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped (about 4 apples)

Cream cheese frosting (whip together):
1/4 cup butter at room temperature
5 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Butter and flour a 13x9 dish.  Combine dry ingredients and set aside.  Whip eggs until frothy, about 3 to 4 minutes then add oil and orange juice and mix thoroughly.  Add dry ingredients and beat with whip at low speed until thoroughly combined.  Fold in apples and pour into prepared pan.  Bake for 1 hour, covering with aluminum foil the last 20 minutes so the top doesn't get too brown.  Cool completely, then frost.


And here's Will going at it.  He used his thumb and index finger to pinch off tiny pieces, taking about 30 minutes or so to finally eat the whole thing.  But he loved every bite!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...